Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Applying For Jobs Online.....

.......takes a lot of the possibilities for creativity out of the process. Here's a job I'm looking into applying for..... https://www.dujobs.org/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1176334858911.

I have to submit the application, cover letter, and resume online through the university's human resources department? Now where's the fun in that? About a year ago, espn.com writer darren rovell came and spoke here. He talked about a variety of subjects that I have since forgotten (he was NOT a gifted public speaker), but the one that's stuck with me is how he applied for his job with the worldwide leader (that's code for ESPN). He said he sent them his resume in a slightly oversized box. "Anything to stand out" (Rovell, 2005) he said, and apparently it worked.

With everything being done online, there's barely an opportunity to put your own personal stamp on the application. You may be perfect for a position and you personality may show that (this is especially true in sports because so much of your job is dealing with the public). But if all the organization has is your resume and cover letter, where you can only be so creative, and someone's experience is slightly more impressive than yours, you may never even get the chance to interview for it.

3 comments:

Hossette said...

I 100% agree with this Grant. There is nothing more that I hate then applying for jobs online. Unless you know someone who has a contact there, you feel as if your just a number in the system and your resume will never be looked at.

I know that technology has provided companies with the opportunity to post jobs online and receive applications all online so their HR dept. doesn't have to deal with the mess of receiving a numerous amount of applications through the mail. It's kinda a catch 22...it is easier to do things electronically from the business standpoint but can discourage people from applying. In my opinion, even though it directly effects me because I am looking for a job, I think the electronic application process is the best way to go.

Pick said...

I can understand both sides of this issue. It is obviously easier to use this sort of technology for a company. I cant tell you how many times resumes "get lost" from kids applying to be a supervisor. Online applications defedn against this. It is also easier to make sure that the information is complete. If you are applying online, it wont let you advance to the next page if something is missed.

As an applicant, I can understand the frustrations. Sometimes you have to copy and paste your resume into their format and it screws everything up. if you wanted to be creative and put your whole resume in an odd font, it takes that option away. You really are just another number in a system and the creative aspect is completely non existent. Good luck once again to you guys.

I tried to clink on the link Grant, but it took me to the generic UD HR page and I didnt get to see what kind of hoss job you are applying to. :)

Chris J said...

First of all your link didn't work turbo. In response to what you said, you are right. It is almost impossible to separate yourself from another resume that is as black and white as yours. I definitely believe this is a draw back in applying for jobs online, but that is the way it is done these days. I have always heard from my Dad, "it's not always who you know, but who knows you" (Johnson 1983-present) :) And in situations like this it holds true. That's why I hope you guys blow up to be something great so that I can hit you up for a job one day, because with the way things are now, I don't know how any one candidate looks more impressive than another.

P.S. Good luck with the job search.