Tuesday, March 27, 2007

UF Swimmer Dominates

In keeping with Sam's theme of stealing topics that Pick could be posting on his blog, I'd like to talk about one of my bowling students, who just happens to be a dominating swimmer at this university. Freshman Gemma Spofforth of England travelled across the pond (she didn't swim it, but I'll bet she could have) to do two things: dominate collegiate swimming and learn to bowl. Step 2 has already been accomplished and Step 1 is coming along nicely. Here, read up.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=11816&html=swimmingdiving/women/news/20070310112200.html&sport=swimw

and

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=11803&html=swimmingdiving/women/news/20070309114200.html&sport=swimw

The first article talks about how she won a national title in the 200m backstroke, breaking a UF record in the process. The win made her the first UF swimmer to win an individual national title in a backstroke event in 17 years and "the first UF freshman to win an NCAA crown since Allison Wagner won the 400 IM in 1995" (Gatorzone.com, 2007). The second article details how she broke the UF record in the 100m backstroke 3 times in 2 days. Yes, you read that correctly, she just kept beating the time herself. Amazing

I'm aware that this article doesn't particularly raise any sociological or legal questions, but I feel it's necessary to recognize true greatness when it comes along. Especially, when it's one of my students.

3 comments:

Pick said...

Dont worry hoss, I'll find some other things to post besides a swimming story. Trust me. The apparent "Kevin Durant/Greg Oden" of womens collegiate swimming looks like shes quite the force. Good thing we dont have to worry about losing her to the big bucks of the Womens Professional Swimming League. I checked out the roster and she is one of 5 swimmers to come from "across the pond". Now THATS recruiting! I wonder how much we actively recruit outside of the country, or is it more of them contacting us. I would imagine that they initiate the process because obviously, who wouldnt want to be at the School of Champions. Im actually laughing a little bit thinking of that video tape of her "highlights" that she sent to the coach. "This is me swimming. This is stil me swimming. I swear I'm going really really fast!"

Is there a limit of foreign athletes that you can have on your roster? Not sure why there would be, but it seems as it they are normally quite successful in the pool. I remember seeing a Gator from South Africa pickin up a medal at the last Olympics...good times.

Hossette said...

She has done a great job for the Gator swimming program. But Pick raises a good point about having foreign athletes. There has always been a buzz around Auburn swimming. Apparentley is well known that they are "cheaters."

Actually...it is a loop hole in the NCAA rules. They have a lot of swimmers that just come over from another country and swim for NCAA's and rack up the medals and then go back to their country. The reason they can do this is because they are technically taking "online classes." Is this fair? I certainly don't think it is. All these athletes that actually go to classes have to deal with the stress of school day in and day out, which include required study hours and attending class.

From what I have heard, this happens in tennis as well. I think it is unfair that some schools allow this to happen. We may be one of them...I'm not sure. But I do know that Florida stesses how important school is.

Chris J said...

Wow I was not aware of the fact that athletes from oversees can compete for a school simply because they are enrolled in classes online. Did I read/understand that correctly? If so, in response to Sam's question, I don't think it's fair. Athletes should have to take a certain number of hours on campus and not via correspondence or the internet. Allowing athletes to do so creates some moral and ethical issues for an athletic program. But in this day, and age where winning comes at any cost, I'm not too surprised.