Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Someone Made A Lot Of Money

Last semester, I was doing an assignment that required me to research several universities' campus recreation/intramural sport websites. As I went from one school to the next, I noticed something, see if you notice it too....

http://recsports.ufl.edu/intramurals/leagues.html
http://www.uwf.edu/recreation/IntramuralSports/imtrack/leagues.html
http://www.campbell.edu/sl/Recreation/IM/IMTrack/leagues.html

....There, you see it? It's the EXACT SAME PROGRAM. Whoever designed and sold this thing is doing backflips into pools of money right now (keep in mind that I have no earthly idea how much they charged for it). If they were able to peddle this computer program to a university as large as Florida, as small as Campbell, and everywhere in between, how many schools must use it? I remember seeing at least half a dozen when I did the assignment, and that was out of about nine websites that I went to. I highly doubt that the creators of this program are batting .667 across the nation, but they must be doing pretty well for themselves. I really should have taken a computer program writing course in high school, I could have easily thought up something like this, but I could never have executed it. Weak.

Grant

3 comments:

Hossette said...

That's pretty amazing. I love how every chance you get to bash on Pick, you do.

I am sure it is used all over the country and those people are making an absurd amount of money. I know you wish you thought of the program...hell so do I. With the increase in interest in the technology world now, maybe we will see some more advanced websites. When we were in school, computer program writing courses weren't like they are now. Or maybe, you were just too cool to take them...Hoss

Pick said...

Ahhh Good ole "IM Track". Yes, this program is used by tons of schools. It is the base for something much bigger then what we use it for. The generic version, which we have, costs about 5 grand. Due to budgetary reasons (shocker), it will take a few more years to bring everything into effect.

After we are long gone Im sure, the Intramural fields will have scanners I imagine similar to what you guys use to check us into basketball games. Students will go to the supervisor to check in and their ID will get swiped. The sup will be able to see if you are eligible, how many teams you play for, what dates you have played, etc. etc. It will make everything about 50 times easier. We will also be able to tell whether or not somebody is actually a student instead of just keeping their Gator ID to play Intramurals.

The program does have flaws though as of now. UF does a lot of things that are unique and this program right now is VERY generic so it makes things weird. I am on the phone with my main man Miguel from tech support once a week. Good times...

Chris J said...

I can understand how so many schools use this type of website set up for their intramural programs. It's very user friendly, and i appears to be easy to load information to the site as well. Clearly Kevin knows that the company that designed this software charges $5,000 from schools using their product. So it appears that the "IM Track" people are making a lot of money. I wonder if it must be renewed or if it's a one time fee. I think it looks a little cheap, but hey, whatever is easy.